Friday, July 17, 2009

Good Bye Grandma

If you have been following my blog you probably read my previous post about my grandmother.

I flew to Chicago to see her last Friday.  When I got there she was back in the hospital, after being home for two days.  She was on oxygen and only semi-conscious.  

She woke up when I got there and knew I was there.  She even yelled at me for coming!  Very typical for her.  Never wanted anyone to be inconvenienced!  

It was hard to see her there.  Barely able to move or even to talk.  It just wasn't her.  

The next morning I arrived at the hospital to find my grandma in even worse shape than she was the day before.  She was unconscious and her breathing was labored and loud.  The morphine was keeping her comfortable.  And keeping her from waking up.

Throughout the day her breathing had become less noticeable and about 3:45 p.m. it was clear that she was slipping away.  By 4:20 p.m. she was gone.  

I have never watched anyone die before, let alone someone so very close to me.  It was comforting that she wasn't in any obvious pain and was surrounded by her children, husband and two of her grandchildren.  

By the time she took her last breath it was clear that her soul had left her body.  

I believe that there is something after death.  The body is a shell for the soul to live inside.  I also strongly believe there is an after life.  I think my grandma was showing us her presence as soon as she passed.

After leaving the hospital my immediate family met up at my cousin's house in Highland Park, Il.  We were sitting around in his front yard talking about all our memories of Grandma when all of a sudden two deer appeared out of no where across the street.  The crossed the street and began grazing right there in the front yard about 20 feet away from where we were all sitting!  They were so calm and not at all fearful of all the people so close by.  My grandparents always called each other "Dear".  

This may very well have no significance whatsoever.  But I like to think that it was Grandma's way of showing us she is at peace....wherever she is.

The next day my grandfather mentioned he hadn't listened to the radio in weeks.  So he turned on the radio just as my grandma's favorite song was beginning.  Strange coincidence?  Maybe.  But I don't think so.

I came home from Chicago on Wednesday.  After getting home I locked my car and didn't drive it for the rest of the day.  The next morning when I got to my car to leave I saw that all four windows were down.  Not all the way, a little less than half, but all at exactly the same level.  

I immediately called Tim to see if he had done that to my windows.  He didn't.  My car was locked.  My windows are electric.  You have to put the key in the ignition to put the windows down.  There is no explanation.

Before I left Chicago I took a house coat that belonged to my grandmother.  I remember her wearing it all the time.  I sealed it in a ziplock bag so that it won't lose her special smell.  

I miss her so much and always will.  My life will always be blessed with her memory!


  1. ((hugs)) What a beautiful tribute to your wonderful grandmother. May the precious memories you have warm your heart when you feel saddness and may you rest knowing the arms that will comfort you during this time are holding her tight now.

  2. I am so sorry about your loss. SHe sounds like a wonderful woman. I too agree in an afterlife and experiences like the one you shared. I like to call them "tender mercies" that the Lord lets our loved ones share with us. Hugs again.