Sunday, January 24, 2010

DKA

These are three letters a parent never wants to hear.

A few days ago a bad pump site sent Janelle into mild DKA. Having this happen is never good but when you blame yourself the guilt can be overwhelming.

We changed her site before bed. Yes, I know that is a big no no but we had school the next morning and I didn't want to do it during the morning rush. That was mistake #1.

Mistake #2 - My husband always does a sugar check when he goes to bed--somewhere between 10 pm and 12 am. For whatever reason, that night he didn't do it.

Mistake #3- When Janelle came to me at 3:30 am saying she was dying of thirst I checked her. She was 547. I gave her a correction and we went back to bed. In retrospect I know that I should have given her a shot and checked her pump/site. Sigh....I wish I could think more clearly at 3:30 am.

So my daughter had to suffer through the physical effects of DKA, an ER visit and three attempts to put in an IV. The feelings of guilt are overwhelming. The fear and realization of how life threatening this disease really is is terrifying.

Janelle is strong. A few hours after being discharged she was running around outside with her broher. After 12 hours, when her ketones were finally gone her response was "YEAH! I fought it out!" Thank God for a happy ending. This time.

That is what I hate about this disease. Well one of the things I should say. Sometimes you feel like no matter how hard you try, no matter how diligent you are, things can go wrong and the results can be catastrophic.


5 comments:

  1. (((HUGS)))

    I'm so sorry that happened!!!! This disease is crazy...I hate the facet that D doesn't sleep overnight. I wish it just settled down and went to bed like the rest of us.

    You're a great mom and manage Janelle wonderfully. We all have moments when we look back and think we should have done something differently.

    Live and learn.

    But mostly live!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad it turned out ok and that she fought through it. What a trooper!! As Wendy said - live and learn and thank you for sharing so that we can learn too!

    Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our kids are troopers aren't they?!
    Glad to hear she's ok.

    I change Jessi's pump after a bath at night all the time....I had no idea it was a no no! But it works for us. I should probably check keytones a little more often then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that she celebrated that she "fought it out!" She should feel good that she conquored it!

    Everything changes in hindsight...but what is important is you got her the help she needed. She won! Great job Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry you had to go through this.

    I hate trying to wake up at 3:30am and having to think clearly! I'm so glad that everything turned out great and Janelle "fought it out" These kids are just sooo strong!!

    ReplyDelete